Well I couldn't figure out how to paste the picture collage in a larger format, but if you click on the picture it should open up in a bigger size in another window or tab. And just as a reminder, you can check out all my pictures on my picasa website: http://picasaweb.google.com/allison.happ
Traveling certainly has kept me busy in the past month and a half. For the time being (the past 2 weeks) it has wound down a bit, if only as a last breath of fresh air before I jump right in again. I'm back in France, packing things in boxes, bins, and suitcases. Saying goodbyes but hoping they'll only be temporary. In the following weeks, I'll be figuring out a little more concretely what my long(er)-term calendar is going to look like. I have some wishes for what I'd like the calendar to include, and right now I'm staying as positive and hopeful as possible.
Looking back on the past two months, there is little doubt for me that the experiences I've had will serve as extraordinary memories for years to come.
Walking through the colorful streets of Stockholm, bundled up in scarves, boots, gloves, fighting against the cool sea breeze. Visiting museums chronicling the Vikings as they rampaged through the Nordic countries. Ogling over the crowned jewels with precious gems bigger than our palms. Lunching with our great new friends and future penpals, feeding nuts to their 'pet' squirrel on the balcony. Taking a bay/fjord tour from Oslo. Contemplating the similarity of the houses with those on Shavehead Lake, and dreaming about summer. Enjoying wonderful meals and wonderful conversations with my Aunt Therese, dreaming about the past, the future, and how we were going to get to our next airport/boat/taxi/metro/hotel. Being extremely disappointed about the failed cooperation of the weather during out fjord tour through Norway, but making personal vows to come back one day when the sun decided to shine. Gazing out train windows, zipping through the countryside, through tunnels, past waterfalls, farmhouses, and bundled up Norwegians. Wandering the absolutely charming streets in Bergen, Norway, one of my favorite spots. Sampling fresh catches at the fish market, including whale meat! Taking a funicular ride up to the mountainside and catching the last glow of the sunset dipping below the horizon. Wonderful ballet performances and captivating conversations in Copenhagen. The pleasure of seeing family and making new friends. The ever-so-green Swiss countryside, the new found wonder of having a rental car, and Uncle Larry! Skipping through charming Swiss towns, stopping by lakes to take pictures. Climbing a bit, boating a bit, seeing incredibly huge waterfalls and daunting mountains, still thickly covered with snow. Meeting friends in Strasbourg, giving English lessons to our wonderful bed and breakfast hosts. Exploring old town, vineyards, tasting sweet white wine. Saying goodbyes in Luxembourg, trying to figure out the mysterious little country.
Each country, experience, conversation, each memory holds so much more than could ever fill the back of a postcard. It was such a wonderful opportunity, and something that will take me a long time to forget. I hope we can talk more when I see some of you this summer. I'll work on getting more concentrated stories up, but for have fun looking through the pictures : )
seeyousoon.


No comments:
Post a Comment