Thursday, January 22, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

A list of humorous (and in some cases unexpected) questions I got this afternoon in one of my new classes....

Where do you come from?
Are you for America's arms production? (meaning, do I think it's ok that pretty much anyone can buy a gun in the states)
Who is your favorite classical music composer?
Do you know what a French kiss is?
Have you been to Miami?
Do you think Marilyn Manson is a cause of violence?
What is the name of the city where you were born? (and I ALMOST expected someone to pipe up and say, Hey Aurora? ME TOO!)
Do you have any children?
Have you ever been on Spring Break? (this was in reference to MTV's Spring Break)
Do you know of the West Indies?
Do you like Facebook?
Do you have any tattoos or piercings?
Do you know the band Lifehouse?
Do you like singing like the other English assistant last year? (who competed in the Nouvelle Star, a similar show to American Idol)

Three of the questions above- classical composer, arms production, and Marilyn Manson- all came from the same student.  He was definitely keeping me on my toes.  Maybe he's used to it- he's the only guy in a class of 26 other girls.  Whew.  And three other ones- the singing question, Spring Break, and piercing/tattoo- were all asked by a girl who made the 'rock out!' (that's the only way I can think to describe it...) hand signal every time she raised her hand to ask me a question.  When the teacher glanced at her after the Spring Break question (which was also aimed to see if I drank) and she replied, Bah il faut savoir, hein!  It's apparently necessary, nay, imperative to know if the assistants are big drinkers.  They also asked me if I'd been to L'Atlantide, the nightclub in Sens.  To which I replied, um there's a nightclub in Sens? 
Italic
Sometimes I'm a little deprimée that I live at the highschool, but this morning was one of the those times I was pretty thankful.  The 3 minute walk from bedroom door to classroom door seemed to last forever this morning, and I could only imagine how bad it would be if I lived far away and had to walk to school everyday.  I had my boots buttoned up high, umbrella braced at a horizontal angle in front of me, and scarf covering all exposed skin.  And somehow I still got to the building drenched.  And they're announcing more of the same for a good couple days.  

Another English Assistant and I are planning a journée in Paris on Saturday, so hopefully the rain will be gone by then.  Among our stops, will be Shakespeare and Company Bookstore.  SO excited for that one.  If you haven't visited, you must put it on your list if you ever plan on coming to Paris (to see me of course!) It's a quaint little British owned bookstore across from Notre Dame in le quartier latin, the latin quarter.  There are mostly English books found there, stacked from floor to ceiling.  It's tiny but incredibly cozy, and chairs, stools, and blocks are strewn here and there that just invite you oh-so-welcomely to sit and stay awhile.  It's been ages since I've been there, and I've really missed it.  We also may stop by a modern art museum that I've never been to, and do some ice skating by Hôtel de Ville that's hopefully still all set up! 
So send happy weather wishes my way : )  Hope you all have wonderful plans for the weekend!

alli

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha that would've been the BEST if someone was from aurora, too... hahaha!!!

amy said...

so speaking of L'Atlantide, i can't believe i never asked you --- does sens have a havana club??????