Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Getting ready.

Last week, as was proudly displayed in my last entry, we set up our new Christmas tree in our kitchen, which totally put me in the Christmas spirit.  I was proud of our little sapin de noel, and a weird little Santa Claus we found in the cabinet who's belly holds Christmas chocolates.  But that early Christmas excitement from last week is dim in comparison to the pride I have now of our awesome Noel-transformed apartment.  I'll let the pictures explain.  

Ok, blogger seems to be inhibiting the awesomeness of my picture display by not letting me upload more.  I'll have to try later for the rest.... We now have 3 christmas trees, one of which has fiber optic lights at the end of each branch.  Wonderful silver, gold, and white streamer/boas adorning the hallway, a strange but awesome leaf-y plant looking wreath on our door, christmas lights framing our food shelf, and last but not least, our crèche- our nativity all set up above the tv.  This humongous delivery of Christmas deco came this morning from the lady who comes to clean our apartment.  She proudly handed over 3 boxes full to the brim, which she does every year for the assistants.  After dinner we decided to dig into the boxes, and we found some pretty awesome surprises.  Like a two part fake christmas tree that looks a lot like a stick figure tree would, a bright pink star ornament made out of some sort of clay with an angel in the middle (left that one IN the box), yards of garlands, and a 'Felicicat' (or some similar word, we can't quite tell) red felt sign in a language we can't really determine... 
All this to say... we are ready (at least as interior decorating is concerned) for the holiday season.  The centre ville is too- I keep wondering when they're going to turn on all the Christmas lights they've been spending weeks hanging everywhere around the town.  That'll be a nice night!  

Classes have been going well so far this week.  One of the teachers wanted me to repeat my Thanksgiving lesson so the other half of her class could see it, so I pulled out my 'pretend you're a turkey' activity which was just as much fun as it was the first time.  With enhanced answers, I may add.  Such as, "I have the bird flu" and "I have too many feathers".  Awesome.  In another class we debated whether or not violent video games lead to violent behavior/health problems.  During which, I had the wonderful pleasure of describing what a seizure was to all my 20 year old guy students.  And when I say describe, I mean act out.  I didn't have a dictionary, and I didn't really know how else to describe it besides shaking my arms in a jittery motion and explaining it had to do with your cerveau, your brain.  Needless to say, they got the point when their crazy English assistant started mimicking fake convulsions.  Always the attention getter.  

That's really all the news for now.  The weather here varies between surprisingly sunny days (or parts of the day) and gross rain/snow/sleet/freezing mist mix that realllly makes you want to STAY inside at all times.  Guess that's December for you.  

Wishing everyone a happy holiday season! 
alli

3 comments:

D said...

That's a great hallway... uh?

So did the bird flu give the turkey a seizure? Would have been more descriptive to take un poulet de caoutchouc in and just shake the dickens out of him. That would have been an attention getter.

amy said...

i just had the most interesting vision of you seizing in front of your class.

Taylor said...

oh al, only you would actually demonstrate what a seizure looks like. and i LOVE YOU FOR IT. :D